Sunday, June 29, 2014

BASKETS BY LINDA LOU





Genre: Business Review

BASKETS BY LINDA LOU
 
I first met this lovely lady in 1995 as she was beginning her involvement in historical re-enactments called Rendezvous and my career as a Free Trader was winding down.
In full disclosure I want to tell everyone right now Linda Lou Alexander is a friend.  She is in fact the Linda Lou I refer to in my “Be Careful What You Ask For” blog post over on my See the USA the Mystery Shopping Way Blog.
However, my friends will all tell you that I won’t recommend a product or business I don’t believe in.  That being said back to my review of Baskets by Linda Lou.
For two to three years Linda Lou and I spent many a ‘voo camping near each other and each of us weaving in our own way.  Me throwing a shuttle on an Inkle Loom and her with her nibble fingers weaving baskets so swiftly it was amazing to watch.


As she wove she chatted with people as they came by, sharing her knowledge of the various baskets she makes and their history.  Along the way she started giving basket weaving lessons and developed a following of people who fell in love with both her and her baskets.  Myself being one.
I am proud to say I have some of her baskets, my favorites being my large Market Basket and my Double Walled Western Cherokee.  Both have traveled all over the US with me. Yarn in the Market Basket and the other used mainly for decoration because I didn’t want to mess it up. Both are still in remarkably good shape for all they’ve been through nearly 20 years later. This is because of the careful construction of them done by Linda Lou, not because of any special treatment I’ve ever given them. While the photos that follow are not of my baskets, they are of the same type.  First the Market Basket

Now a Double Walled Western Cherokee


After I quit going to ‘voo Linda Lou and I went our separate ways, me home to tend to the ranch and her to expand her basket business more and more.  Over the years we have touched base with telephone calls, emails and now through the wonders of social media I am able once again to chat with her and admire her baskets.
Her business has grown and so has the variety of baskets she makes. 
Her inventory includes not only the original two I mentioned, but egg, bowl, Choctaw, pine needle baskets, quivers and many more.  Just look at the wonderful photos I’ve included of her work and you can see how talented she is and the quality of her work. The photos have been provided by and printed with permission from Linda Lou.  You can see she is one busy lady.

She just announced on facebook that she is now part of My Friends Place, an artisan shop that is opening July 1, 2014 in Paris, Texas.  I highly recommend you drop by and check out her baskets in person. She did not ask me for the recommendation.  I volunteered to give it because I admire her work and her determination through all that life has handed her to keep this unique skill alive for all to see.

Not going all the way to Paris, perhaps just as far as Antlers, OK then get in contact with her for a private showing in her home workshop.

 If both are too far then how about the internet? You can contact her at
basketsbylindalou@yahoo.com  where she has a mailing list for shows and classes you can attend.  

You can find her on facebook as Linda Lou Alexander.  You can also check out My Friends Place on facebook.
Linda Lou still gives classes to anyone who wants to book them.  I know as a young teen I took a basket weaving class in Girl Scouts from a friend of my mothe and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Perhaps your scout or home schooling class could benefit from her knowledge.  
Not of the underage group?  No problem,   she teaches old and young alike through state parks, community centers, churches and private homes. She has taught students as old as 93!


 Just get in touch with her and she’ll work the details out with you.
580 982 8632.u

Whatever you do, check out her beautiful handmade baskets she makes them in all types sizes and colors.  Perhaps you need something as small as a business card holder, or nut cups for a special reception, a large gathering basket, a quiver for your favorite archer or any numerous things. If she doesn’t have it in stock she can make it for you.
Have a special basket you’ve seen, but it wasn’t quite the color or size you needed?  Get a good photo to her and chances are she can make it.
No matter the size, shape or color Linda Lou’s baskets all have one unique feature no one else can duplicate, Linda Lou’s spirit that she weaves in as her small hands fly through the process and that is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment